Half Yard Challenge
Minnekahta Quilt Guild 2009
For Voting and Display at Christmas in the Hills, December 2009
Please DO NOT CUT fabric ahead of time! You’ll cut it up at the workday April 4!!
The challenge is to make an attractive wall hanging using 5 different fabrics cut into squares, half square triangles and quarter square triangles. Fabric selection and design will make your quilt successful. Quilts will be voted upon at the Christmas in the Hills Show by the viewers. Here are some samples taken from the Fons and Porter television show:
1. Choose 5 different fabrics and purchase ½ yard of each. Here are some samples:
Fabrics can have a variety of colors, value (darkness/lightness) or scale (size of print). You could choose fabrics that go together with one fabric as an accent.
2. Cut four 4” strips width of fabric from each of the fabrics. You shouldn’t have much left over.
3. Cut one strip from each color into 4” squares.
4. Cut one strip from each color into half square triangles. Note in this picture there is a flat spot on the top of the triangle – that keeps your triangle the correct size to match up to the 4” square. You can purchase the Fons and Porter ruler (Easy Angle) or make a template from the pattern we’ve provided.
5. Cut one strip from each color into quarter square triangles. Again, note the flat spot on the top of the triangle. You can purchase the Fons and Porter ruler (Companion Angle) or make a template from the pattern we’ve provided.
6. You now should have something like this, with one strip left of each color.
Lay out your pieces in a pleasing design. Use the extra strips of fabric to cut more triangles or squares as needed.
7. Assemble quilt by joining pieces into rows and joining rows to make the quilt top. You are allowed to purchase 3/8 yard extra of one of the fabrics for binding.
We hope you enjoy this challenge as you stretch your design skills as a quilter! Happy quilting!
Please email the quilt guild if you need a pattern for the triangles - firstname.lastname@example.org