MINNEKAHTA QUILTER’S GUILD—August 14, 2008
CALL TO ORDER: President Julie Standen called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
Twenty-five members were present with two guests: Donna Campbell, guest of MJ Varick, and Leta Shively, State Home resident.
MINUTES: Minutes of the July 10, 2008, meeting were approved.
TREASURER: The ending balance for this month is $2275.48. Income included dues at $10.00. Expenses included County Fair award at $50.00
LIBRARIAN: Margaret reported that Jan’s back surgery went fine and she should be home tomorrow. Sandy delivered AQS book orders. Two new additions to the library include Learning to Quilt and Butterfly Album.
HISTORIAN: no report
1. The September work day will be September 6. Lunch will be potluck
2. The next Quilt Block Giveaway will be held at the September meeting. Blocks are to be blue and white snowflakes and should measure 12 and ½ inches unfinished.
3. Beth Mazzella will do a lesson on folded fabric at the October meeting.
4. Christa modeled an apron and displayed two bags which she had made.
5. Christa circulated the UFO list so that members could check their progress.
NEWSLETTER: no report
2008 CITH Raffle Quilt: Linda Vossberg will take the quilt to the bank in Edgemont for display. Ann has the raffle tickets numbered and in envelopes with pictures. Be sure to pick up your packets from her.
2009 CITH Raffle Quilt: Sheryl reported that the quilt top is completed and it is now at Bev Carlson’s to be machine quilted.
Signature Quilt: This is still a work in progress.
1. Please let Helen know if you have quilts to hang, as we need three each month. Quilts are needed for September
2. Julie read a card from the Mazzella family.
3. The Black Hills Quilters Retreat will be held Oct. 3-5.
4. The show sponsored by Quilt Corral Too at Mistletoe Ranch in Hill City on September 14 has been cancelled.
5. Ann hopes to have the shop open in late September.
6. Linda Vossberg is moving back to the Wichita, Kansas, area. She asked members to make her Sunbonnet Sue blocks in any color. The 12 ½ inch blocks will be collected by Ruth. Be sure to sign your block.
Karen reported on the Fall River County Fair. Sixty-eight quilts were entered. She thanked Ruth, Sheryl, Delores, Elaine, Ginny, MJ, Beth, and Helen for helping. The People’s Choice award went to Ruth. The Best of Show award went to Janice Moore from Custer. Judges were Cheryl Householder and Michelle from Rapid City. Karen will publish a complete list of the award winners in the newsletter. Items considered by the judges included the following:
• Contrast of colors pleasing to the eye
• Corners and points match
• Good pressing
• Machine appliqué done well
• Hand appliqué stitches even and good length
• No dog ears
• No turned seams
• Borders applied properly
• Appropriate stitch length on piecing
• Batting even, no bunches
• Outer edge of quilt not wavy
• Appropriate stitch length on quilting
• Quilting appealing and appropriate
• Threads trimmed
The wall hanging category will possibly be divided next year into categories similar to those of full-size quilts.
Remember, the Minnekahta Quilters Guild website can be accessed at http://minnekahtaquiltguild.blogspot.com . Photos from the fair can be seen there.
Marilyn and Julie attended classes at Stars over Nebraska in Chadron. Marilyn attended the Quilt History day taught by Bobbie Aug from Colorado Springs focusing on how to date quilts. Julie attended lectures by Marcia McCloskey and classes on beading, dying fabrics with shaving cream, color, and creating strip and string quilts.
Cora Fugier and Caroline Standen will serve as the nominating committee to find a slate of officers for next year. Election of officers will be at the October meeting.
NEXT MEETING: The next business meeting will be September 11 at 7 pm.
NEXT WORKDAY: The September workday will be September 6.
ADJOURN: Meeting was adjourned at 7:40 p.m.
SHOW AND TELL:
Pat Martin: Blue and White quilt top; Plaid Bear Paw top
Marilyn Rowley: Third Block of the Quarter block
Ruth Angerhofer: Patriotic quilt; Halloween quilt
Sandy Taylor: Table runner; “Cat in the Window” wall hanging
Nancy Cuckler: Baby quilt (UFO); Scrappy Angel; Round Robin; Purse
Ann Powers: Scrappy Christmas tree
Gloria Korell – Baby quilt
Cora Fugier – Photo of Karri’s second quilt
Cindy Reed – Barrel Racer quilt
Bobbie Augustine: Dresden Plate (UFO); BOM 2007 (UFO); Round Robin 2008; Rosemaling block
Shirley Green – Majestic MountainsHelen Schillinger – Under Construction baby quilt
Carolyn Terrill – Small Autumn wall quilt
Sheryl Brost – Lighthouse wall hanging
Pat Scheltens – Baby quilt; wedding quilt
Julie Standen – Purse made by Caroline
Saturday, Sept 6– This is a work on your own project day. As always, remember to bring a potluck dish to share.
Thursday, September 11, 7:00 p.m. Regular monthly business meeting.
Use three pins for lining up seams. Place one pin exactly where the seams should match, pinning straight through the fabric leaving the pin perpendicular to the fabric. Then place one pin to the left, and one to the right. Then remove the center pin. Sew to each pin, remove it, and sew on. Check the pins you are using – replace them if needed with much finer pins. Using thinner pins and the three-pin method vastly improves the ability to match seams accurately.